Nargis Dutt is one of the greatest actresses in the history of Indian Cinema. A diva, an icon, and a social worker; Nargis won hearts as well as acclaims on the silver screen. Commemorating Nargis on her 35th death anniversary, Creative Lichens brings to you 10 lesser known facts about Nargis Dutt :
1. Nargis was born as Fatima Rashid on 1 June 1929 in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
2. Nargis had a great fascination for phones. Her children recall that when she was lying on her mat for a massage, she would constantly be talking, making the massage a restless act rather than a restful one.
3. She suffered from pancreatic cancer and died of it on May 3,1981. The same year her son Sanjay Dutt was to appear first time on the silver screen. In 1982 , Nargis Dutt Cancer Memorial was established in her memory.
4. Nargis’s mother Jaddanbai was a classical singer and a courtesan and was the one who introduced Nargis to films.
5. She was awarded Padmashree for her role in Mother India.
6. She was considered the First Lady of Indian Cinema, First Actor to have received Padmashree. She was much respected for her skills than her male contemporaries at that time.
7. She was the Granddaughter of Motilal Nehru & Daleepabai.
8. Her International fame and popularity were through a Greek film named “Tosa Oneria Stous Dromous “ in 1968.
9. Sunil Dutt her then fellow co-star in Mother India Saved her from the fire that broke out on the sets of Mother India when a haystack accidentally caught fire. His gesture and fearless act not only saved Nargis life but brought love in her life. Nargis later Married Sunil Dutt, and they had a beautiful married life.
10. Nargis’s most iconic movies of all time are Awara, Shree 420, Mother India, Raat Aur Din.
-By Upasana Singh